Tuesday 4 September 2012

Peaches and Cream cupcakes

I am counting down the hours to the next episode of The Great British Bake Off and you just can't help getting into the spirit and bake, bake, bake.......well more than usual :0)

I was meant to bake for a friend of mine last Saturday but the banana cake(s) I made were just not up to scratch, although I have been munching on them steadily since I made it on Friday evening....

I decided that I had to make my friend something nice to make it up to him. I browsed the internet and the recipe for Hummingbird Bakery's peaches and cream cupcakes caught my eye. It sounded delicious and the recipe was easy to follow;

Preheat the oven to 170c

Ingredients;

120g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
40g unsalted butter
120ml full cream milk (divide into half)
1 egg
1/4 tsp vanilla extract ( I used 1/2 tsp)
400g of tinned peaches

1. Beat the butter, sugar, flour and baking powder until you get a grainy consistency
2. Gradually pour in half the milk into the mixture until it's incorporated
3. Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remainder of the milk together and pour into the mixture. Beat until smooth.
4. Slice the peaches into segments and line them at the bottom of cupcake cases.
5. Fill cases to two thirds full
6. Bake for 20- 25 minutes, until golden brown.

Frosting:

50g unsalted butter (room temperature)
300g icing sugar
125g cream cheese (cold)

With a paddle attachment (I'm sure a whisk would do a the job too) beat the butter and icing sugar together until combined. Add the cream cheese until the frosting is smooth. If it becomes too soft then put it in the fridge for a short while. If you use a standing mixer then I would cover it with a towel, the icing sugar dust goes everywhere otherwise.

I made mini cupcakes instead of the standard 12 cupcakes the recipe yields.

 
I bought imprint sheets which I have been dying to use, so I coloured the white rolled icing I had with a peach paste colour I had to go with the mini cakes.

It's my first go at it but I have a feeling I will be using them very often.....

These mini cakes will make their way to you James this week, somehow!

I'm off to deliver a few to another friend who has recently moved to our neighbourhood!

Ciao! x

No comments:

Post a Comment