Sunday 16 September 2012

More S'mores please!

I was browsing a few blogs when I came across S'more cookies and OH MY GOD do they look good. I have wanted to make them for ages now so when we went to Hatchland's Park last week we made a detour on the way home via Guildford to visit an American goodie shop. The recipe called for Graham Crackers and these are not available in normal English shops but luckily they had them in the Stateside Candy Co Shop. These crackers have been somewhat of a mystery to me, US bloggers use them in American cheesecakes and when you google what they taste like there are loads of websites with debates regarding whether they taste like digestives or not....Needless to say I was pleased to find them and didn't have to find a replacement!




I love the big goodie bag!! I had to sneak in a small bag of m&m's peanut butter and mini Reese's for my chocolate peanut butter cupcakes.

For the S'mores I adapted a recipe fromThe girl who ate everything;

Preheat the oven to 180c

Ingredients
155g butter (room temperature)
205g packed dark brown sugar (I have had a pack sitting in my baking cupboard but you can use light brown as well
110g golden caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
230g all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 salt
24 Graham Cracker squares

Depending how chocolatey and marshmallowy you want your S'mores;
150g of dark chocolate
Half to a pack of mini marshmallows

Mix all the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon)
In a standing mixer, cream the butter with the sugars. Once done, add the eggs and vanilla extract followed by the flour mix on low speed. Despite using dark sugar my mixture was very light and fluffy;

 Christy's recipe (and most recipes) call for Hershey's chocolate but I went with what I had which was Green and Black's 70% dark chocolate. I didn't have the energy to go out and get Hershey's plus I LOVE G&B's chocolate. Almost as much as Marabou chocolate.
I used my rolling pin to break the chocolate bar into small pieces and folded them along with the marshmallows into the mixture. I then spooned them onto the cracker squares.

I was a bit generous with my portions but I think you can easily do more than 2 dozens of these.
Bake for 5 minutes, meanwhile break up the rest of the chocolate you have into their own squares, take the cookies out and push a square into each cookie. Bake for another 5-7 minutes. I took mine out after 5 minutes because I didn't want them to brown more or worse, burn!

I haven't had any cookies for ages and these were so nice that I never want to buy one ever again. Proof that homemade delights are always so much nicer than shop bought.


We had two each whilst warm and they were delicious. The different textures of the cracker and the gooeyness of chocolate and marshmallows are great.

These will be the perfect film snack (bribe) for when I force my boyfriend to watch the Audrey Hepburn DVD box set he bought me:0)

Don't forget, this week is National Cupcake Week! So plenty of posts to come.

Ciao!x

No comments:

Post a Comment