Thursday 16 August 2012

Cake pops, finally made them!

I know I am way behind this trend but I decided to make some cake pops for one of my friends and her daughter. It was my first time but I think it went very well!! :0)

The story however started on a sad note;
I made a batch of chocolate butterfly cakes with some leftover chocolate ganache. I stupidly put the ganache at the bottom of the cases instead of layering it with mixture and needless to say it was stuck to the bottoms.


I used Mary Berry's Butterfly Cakes from the Baking Bible.

100g softened butter
100g caster sugar ( I use golden caster sugar)
2 large eggs (free range!)
75g self- raising flour
25g cocoa
1 level teaspoon baking powder

I also added 50ml of buttermilk and 1 or 2 teaspoons of orange blossom extract (depending on personal taste)

1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees or 180 degrees if you have a fan oven ( like me). I used a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases but some say silicone or foil cases keeps the cakes more moist.
2. Measure all the ingredients and beat for 2- 3 minutes until the mixture is well blended and smooth. Fill each case with the mixture.
3. Bake in the pre- heated oven for circa 15- 20 minutes until well risen and golden brown, I use a tooth pick to make sure because my oven is temperamental.
Lift the cases out of the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.

I made the ganache by mixing 100g of dark 70% chocolate with 142 ml of warmed double cream and one tbsp of golden caster sugar. The ganache was made to become chocolate truffles but I had some leftover which was tragically used for these cakes.
Moving on, I crumbled the cakes and with the help of a ice cream scooper, for measuring, I rolled the crumbs into little balls. I bought the sticks from Lakeland made by Wilton.


I used tiny silicone cases to keep them in place.

I melted regular dark chocolate with some lovely Lindt chocolate orange bar, roughly 100g ( 50/50). It gave it a nice extra kick of orange. This was done bain marie style of course.

The first cake pop!





















I didn't have anything to keep them standing up so I turned them on their heads!

I was most pleased with the results, yum! Next time I might add a bit of Cointreau as well.



I'm off to yoga now so I can enjoy a few of these later! Ciao x






No comments:

Post a Comment